Effective July 1, 2015, employers will be required to provide at least three days of annual sick leave to their employees (Labor Code §245 et seq.). Not only will businesses be required to provide the benefits, but there are numerous notification, posting, and employee information reporting requirements that must be satisfied as well.
Employers must comply with the following new sick pay benefit requirements:
• Display a poster on paid sick leave where employees can read it easily; you can get this poster and many others from this website: www.dir.ca.gov/wpnodb.html
• Provide written notice to employees with sick leave rights at the time of hire;
• Provide at least 24 hours or three days of paid sick leave for each eligible employee to use per year;
• Allow eligible employees to use accrued paid sick leave upon reasonable request;
• Show how many days of sick leave an employee has available on an employee’s pay stub or a document issued the same day as a paycheck; and
• Keep records showing how many hours have been earned and used for three years (Labor Code §§246, 247).
• Every employer should keep a signed copy of the letter of understanding in the employee file.
You may download the Sick Pay Benefit Letter template by clicking on the link below:
If you have any questions, please contact:
Majid “Mike” Tavabi, EA
Office: (310) 894-9244
Direct: (310) 539-1068
Fax: (310) 988-2624